Galileoscope Refractor Telescope Kit - GSCOPE
- Regular price
- Price: $79.99 USD
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Price: $79.99 USD
- Unit price
Estimated Arrival: Between Dec 31 and Jan 14. United States
Ships within 4-7 days
- Shipping & Returns
- Price Match
- Product Q&A
The Original Galileoscope, Developed by Leading Astronomers, Optical Designers, and Educators
"I am surprised that my Galileoscope has become my working scope. Yet, I am reminded of what we often hear in the amateur astronomy community - The best telescope is the one you use most." - David O. Treviño, Cloudy Nights
School Children use the Galileoscope in Flagstaff, ArizonaPhoto: Stephen M. Pompea, NOAO
Learn More | Resources
Created as a cornerstone project for the 2009 International Year of Astronomy (IYA), the Galileoscope telescope kit solved a long-standing problem: the lack of a high-quality, low-cost kit suitable for both optics education and celestial observation. The Galileoscope was also a cornerstone project of the 2015 International Year of Light (IYL).
Over the course of the project managed by volunteers and promoted mainly through word-of-mouth, more than a quarter-million Galileoscope kits have been distributed to teachers, students, and other enthusiasts in more than 110 countries for science education and public outreach.
The program was only expected to last through the IYA, but the global astronomy education and outreach community loved the kit and asked its creators (Stephen M. Pompea, Richard Tresch Fienberg, Douglas N. Arion, Thomas C. Smith, and Douglas Isbell) to keep it in production, and after nearly ten years of serving the educational STEM community that team was preparing to wind down.
But the demand by the educational community has remained strong, and a search ensued to find a worthy successor of the Galileoscope. Explore Scientific was approached in late 2018 to take over manufacturing and distribution, and we both felt the project was a good fit for Explore Scientific.
Now we can ensure that educators and students around the world can continue the legacy of unlocking the learning process of exploring the universe with telescopes that people assemble themselves with the original Galileoscope Kit!
"I love my Galileo Scope. It’s awesome. It’s always out with me. When the mist gets bad the Galileo is handy."
- Galileoscope telescope kit includes all of the parts and instructions needed for young explorers to build their own 50mm refractor
- Assembly is quick and requires no tools or adhesives
- Enjoy views of the lunar surface, Jupiter’s Galilean moons, Saturn’s rings and bright star clusters
- Kit includes a 20x eyepiece and a custom accessory that can be assembled as a 2x Barlow lens for a power of 50x or a 17x Galilean eyepiece with a right-side-up field of view less than 1/2° wide so the user can experience the views Galileo had of the the expansive night sky
- Learn basic optical concepts, including how lenses form images and how magnification affects field of view
|Objective diameter||50 mm (2 inches)|
|Objective focal length||500 mm (f/10)|
|Eyepiece focal length||20 mm|
|Magnification||25x (50x with Barlow)|
|Field of view||1 1/2° (3/4° with Barlow)|
|Eyepiece eye relief||16 mm (22 mm with Barlow)|
|Eyepiece barrel diameter||1 1/4 inches (31 3/4 mm)|
Shipping & Returns
If your order is in stock and we process the charges to your credit card, it will ship within five business days from the date of your order. We will send you tracking information within 24 hours of your order leaving the warehouse to the e-mail address you provided when checking out. If you do not receive tracking information from us within six business days of your order, feel free to follow up with us at email@example.com.
Cancellations & Refunds:
All orders canceled after 48 hours are subject to a $20 administration fee, whether or not your order has shipped. If your order has shipped, you (the buyer) will also be responsible for actual return shipping charges. Refunds will only be issued to the original credit card that you use when placing your order.
Please inspect the packaging of your item(s) when they arrive, if you notice any damage you should make note of it when signing for delivery. If your item(s) do arrive damaged, please send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will process an insurance claim on your behalf.
We want you to spend your time focusing on the stars, not on the price.
If you find another online store that offers a lower price than us within six months of your purchase date please let us know and we will refund your original payment for the difference. We want you to feel confident that you are getting the absolute best price for the product you are ordering. If you find that our own website has a lower price for the same item you have ordered within six months of your purchase date, we will refund the difference as well.
To request your partial refund simply e-mail us a link to the same product on our website, or on our competitors website within six months from the date of your order and we will process the credit accordingly.
Our 100% Price Guarantee has some limitations:
- You must purchase the item from our website before requesting your Price Match Guarantee
- Promotions such as rebates and buy one, get one free offers are not eligible
- The item must be in stock on the competitors website
- The competitor must be an online store, they may not have a retail location
- The website can not be a discounter or auction website (ie; eBay, overstock, etc..)
- The competitor must be an Authorized Retailer of the product in question
- The Price Match Guarantee includes the item price and the shipping charges, it excludes sales tax
Not convinced yet? Check out all our amazing products here!
We know you'll like the products we offer as much as we do- that's a Telescope Wolves Guarantee. In fact, if for any reason there is an issue with your products, please contact us upon receipt of your order with your order number and concern, and a member of our team will be happy to assist you from there.
Telescope Wolves will be happy to refund you the difference in price:
- if you find another online store that offers a lower price than us within six months of your purchase date, OR
- if you find that our own website has a lower price for the same item you have ordered within six months of your purchase date
Please consult our Price Match Guarantee for further details.
Product Warranty Policies
We also offer warranties from each of our partners (to ensure that you enjoy the products as much as we do).
Vixen's Warranty :
Vixen warranties its products to be free from initial defects in materials and workmanship for a specified period based on part type:
- Vixen Electronic Parts: Limited One Year Warranty
- Vixen Mechanical Parts: Limited Two Year Warranty
Interested? Shop for all of Vixen's products here.
Bresser's Warranty :
Bresser offers a limited USA one year warranty when product is registered within 60 days of purchase. Interested? Shop for all of Bresser's products here.
Explore Scientific's Warranty :
Explore Scientific offers a limited USA one year Warranty, which also converts to the Explore STAR Transferable Extended Life of the Product Warranty. Product must be registered within 60 days of purchase for this warranty to apply.
Interested? Shop for all of Explore Scientific's products here.
Daystar Filters's Warranty:
If used as directed, your DayStar filter is guaranteed for ten years. Should the filter become inoperative due to optical or mechanical failure, Daystar will repair the filter or replace it with an equivalent filter at no repair cost to the customer.
Under no circumstances shall a refund be issued:
- due to application issues or the buyer's lack of skills in application of the product
- Application of the DayStar product requires a degree of technical expertise specific to the exact product line, which is not common to other optical applications
- if the product’s technical application procedures are NOT followed properly and poor results are yielded
- Application procedures are posted on Daystar’s website and are stated in further detail in the client's operation manual
- due to buyer’s remorse
Goods are warranted to be in operative, working condition as stated in specifications of product at the time of delivery. Should the goods not meet these specifications, Telescope Wolves will put a request in on your behalf to repair or replace the goods with items which meet stated specifications of product.
- Goods shipped shall meet specifications stated by means of optical laboratory testing using independently verified spectrometer testing methods, visual inspection, and visual qualification of performance.
Interested? Shop for all of Daystar Filters's products here.
Hutech offers a one year warranty on all its products.
Interested? Shop for all of Hutech's products here.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.
7 Great reasons to buy from us: